GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

East Pennard

"EAST PENNARD, a parish in the hundred of Whitstone, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W. of Castle Cary station, on the Wilts and Somerset railway, and 5 S. of Shepton Mallet, its post town. It is situated on the Bath and Exeter road, and contains the hamlets of Stone, Parbrook, and Huxham. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The parish is bounded on the E. by the old Roman Fosse Way. The appropriation belongs to the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with the curacy of West Bradley annexed, £190, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a tower containing a clock and five bells. It contains a Norman font and several stained-glass windows, also an altar screen and monuments of the Martines and Napiers. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. The Wesleyans have two chapels. There are parochial and Sunday schools. Edward B. Napier, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 10th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]