Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Easton in Gordano
"EASTON-IN-GORDANO, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 5 miles N.E. of Clevedon station, and 7 N.W. of Bristol, its post town. It is situated at the mouth of the river Avon, and commands an extensive view over the Bristol Channel. There is a pilot station here, but the number of persons employed has much diminished since the introduction of steam-power. Building-stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £160, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. George, is a modern stone edifice. There is also a district church at Pill, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the gift of the Rev. T. H. Mirehouse. The register commences in 1559. The parochial charities amount to about £18 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also infant and Sunday schools."
"CROCKERN-PILL, a hamlet in the parish of Easton-in-Gordano, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles N.W. of Bristol. It is situated on the southern bank of the Avon, near its confluence with the Severn, and is the Bristol pilot station."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]