Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Elm
"ELM, a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Frome, its post town, and 3 from the railway station. It is situated on the river Frome, surrounded by beautiful scenery. The hamlet of Little Elm is in the parish This place abounds with limestone and there are several kilns at work. There are likewise iron works, giving employment to many of the people. On the banks of the Frome are various mills and several manufactories for agricultural implements. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath, value £193. The church is an ancient structure of stone, with a fine Norman arch at the W. entrance. It is dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1697. There is a National school for boys and girls. In the vicinity of the village there are remains of a Roman camp on the edge of a precipice. William Strachey, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"LITTLE ELM, a hamlet in the parish of Elm, hundred of Frome, county Somerset.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]