GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents

Elm

"ELM, a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Frome, its post town, and 3 from the railway station. It is situated on the river Frome, surrounded by beautiful scenery. The hamlet of Little Elm is in the parish This place abounds with limestone and there are several kilns at work. There are likewise iron works, giving employment to many of the people. On the banks of the Frome are various mills and several manufactories for agricultural implements. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath, value £193. The church is an ancient structure of stone, with a fine Norman arch at the W. entrance. It is dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1697. There is a National school for boys and girls. In the vicinity of the village there are remains of a Roman camp on the edge of a precipice. William Strachey, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 10th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]