Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Elworthy
"ELWORTHY, a parish in the hundred of Williton and Freemanners, county Somerset, 5 miles S.E. of Watchet, and 12 W. of Taunton, its post town. The Trowbridge station of the West Somerset railway is 3 miles to the N. of the village. On Willett Hill, in this parish, is a lofty tower, from the summit of which is obtained an extensive prospect over the Bristol Channel and the surrounding country. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £300. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Martin. There is a National school for both sexes. John Blommart, Esq., is lord of the manor. Willett House is the principal residence. On Brendon Hill, about a mile from the village, are the Elworthy Burroughs, a British encampment, and several tumuli."
"WILLET, a hamlet in the parish of Elworthy, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Wiveliscombe."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]