Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Emborough
"EMBOROUGH, (or Emborrow), a parish in the hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 5 miles N. of Shepton-Mallet, and 5 N.E. of Wells. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Wells to Bath, in a well wooded district, abounding in beautiful scenery. The road winds by the banks of a lake, covering about 10 acres, with a thick wood in the background. Two-thirds of the land is in pasture, the rest arable and wood. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, annexed to the vicarage* of Chewton Mendip. The church is a small stone structure, dedicated to St. Mary. John Hippisley, Esq., is lord of the manor. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £140, and the vicarial for £74.
"WHITNELL, a tything in the parish of Emborough, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Wells."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]