GENUKI Home page
Emborough Emborough     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Emborough

"EMBOROUGH, (or Emborrow), a parish in the hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 5 miles N. of Shepton-Mallet, and 5 N.E. of Wells. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Wells to Bath, in a well wooded district, abounding in beautiful scenery. The road winds by the banks of a lake, covering about 10 acres, with a thick wood in the background. Two-thirds of the land is in pasture, the rest arable and wood. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, annexed to the vicarage* of Chewton Mendip. The church is a small stone structure, dedicated to St. Mary. John Hippisley, Esq., is lord of the manor. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £140, and the vicarial for £74.

"WHITNELL, a tything in the parish of Emborough, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Wells."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.