GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Emborough

"EMBOROUGH, (or Emborrow), a parish in the hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 5 miles N. of Shepton-Mallet, and 5 N.E. of Wells. The village, which is small, is situated on the road from Wells to Bath, in a well wooded district, abounding in beautiful scenery. The road winds by the banks of a lake, covering about 10 acres, with a thick wood in the background. Two-thirds of the land is in pasture, the rest arable and wood. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, annexed to the vicarage* of Chewton Mendip. The church is a small stone structure, dedicated to St. Mary. John Hippisley, Esq., is lord of the manor. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £140, and the vicarial for £74." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

History

This parish has also been known (spelt) as Emborrow.

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 10th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.