GENUKI Home page
Evercreech Evercreech     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Evercreech

"EVERCREECH, a parish in the hundred of Wells-Forum, county Somerset, 3 miles S.E. of Shepton-Mallet, and 5 N.E. of Castle Cary. It is situated near the Fosse Way, and includes the hamlets of Bagbury, Chesterblade, Southwood, Stoney-Stratton, and some other small places. The nearest railway station is at Shepton-Mallet. Silk weaving is carried on. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with the curacy of Chesterblade annexed, £226. The church is a handsome structure with tower surmounted by a pinnacle, and dedicated to St. Peter. The register commences in 1640. There are parochial charities producing about £50 per annum. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes, with a small endowment, also an infant school. Lord Talbot de Malahide is lord of the manor. There are traces of a Roman camp, and a saline spring."

"BAGBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Evercreech, and hundred of Wells-Forum, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile from Shepton Mallet."

"CHESTERBLADE, a chapelry in the parish of Evercreech, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles S.E. of Shepton Mallet. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Evercreech."

"SOUTHWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Evercreech, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Bruton."

"STONEY STRATTON, a hamlet in the parish of Evercreech, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Bruton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.