GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Exford

"EXFORD, a parish in the hundred of Carhampton, county Somerset, 7 miles N.W. of Dulverton, and 10 S.W. of Minehead, its post town. It is situated on the river Exe, over which is a stone bridge of three arches. The main road from Minehead to Exmoor Forest parses through the parish. There are vestiges of the ancient iron-works in which tradition says the entire wood of the adjoining forest was consumed. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £280, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Peterhouse, Cambridge. The church is a stone structure with a lofty tower. It is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. The register commences in 1609. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a school for the children of the parish. The lords of the manor are Sir T. D. Acland and F. W. Knight, Esq. A fair is held on the 14th August for live stock. In the vicinity are circular entrenchments and several barrows." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 10th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.