GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Farrington Gurney

"FARRINGTON-GURNEY, a parish in the hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 8 miles N.E. of Wells, its post town, and 10 N.W. of Frome. The main road from Bristol to Wells passes through the village. This place takes the adjunct to its name from the Gournays, its ancient possessors, of whom Sir Thomas de Gournay was concerned in the murder of Edward II. at Berkeley Castle, for which his estates were confiscated, and Farringdon has since been annexed to the duchy of Cornwall, and leased to the Mogg family. Coal is obtained, but not to a large extent. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Chewton Mendip, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is a small stone edifice of Norman architecture. It is dedicated to St. John, and contains monuments of the Mogg family. There are charities amounting to about £10 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school. The Manor House is the principal residence." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 10th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]