Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Fivehead
"FIVEHEAD, a parish in the hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Langport, its post town, and 8 E. of Taunton. The Langport station on the Bristol and Exeter railway is nearly 5 miles from the village. It is situated on the river He, and includes the tythings of Burton-Pynsent, Cathanger, and Moortown. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with that of Swell annexed, £234, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, who are impropriators of the great tithes. The church is a stone edifice of ancient date, with an embattled tower at the W. end. It is dedicated to St. Martin, and has a brass effigy of a female. The register commences in 1654. There is a National school for both sexes. The impropriate tithes of this parish have been commuted for a rent-charge of £253, and the vicarial for £126; a rent-charge of £2 16s. is also payable to the Rector of Ashill. Arundel Yeo, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"CATHANGER-CUM-STOWEY, a tything in the parish of Fivehead, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles to the S.W. of Langport."
"MOORTOWN, a tything in the parish of Fivehead, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Langport."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]