GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Fivehead

"FIVEHEAD, a parish in the hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Langport, its post town, and 8 E. of Taunton. The Langport station on the Bristol and Exeter railway is nearly 5 miles from the village. It is situated on the river He, and includes the tythings of Burton-Pynsent, Cathanger, and Moortown. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with that of Swell annexed, £234, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, who are impropriators of the great tithes. The church is a stone edifice of ancient date, with an embattled tower at the W. end. It is dedicated to St. Martin, and has a brass effigy of a female. The register commences in 1654. There is a National school for both sexes. The impropriate tithes of this parish have been commuted for a rent-charge of £253, and the vicarial for £126; a rent-charge of £2 16s. is also payable to the Rector of Ashill. Arundel Yeo, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Census

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 18th November 2011 by Malcolm Daniels]