Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Freshford
"FRESHFORD, a parish in the hundred of Bath Forum, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Bradford-on-Avon, and 4½ S.E. of Bath, its post town. The Wilts and Somerset railway has a station here. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Avon, and the Kennet and Avon canal passes through the parish. Several small hamlets are included in it. Freestone and fullers'-earth are obtained. The people are employed in the manufacture of cloth, and in the malt-kilns, breweries, and fulling-mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value with that of Woodwick annexed, £340. The church, a stone structure, with tower and porch, is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school for both sexes; also a Wesleyan free school. In the neighbourhood are remains of a monastic establishment."
"WOODWICK, an ancient parish now united with the parish of Freshford, county Somerset, adjoining Bath."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]