Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"FROME, (or Frome-selwood), a parish, market town, and parliamentary borough, in the hundred of the same name, county Somerset, 12 miles S. of Bath, 24 S.E. of Bristol, and 107 from London by the turnpike road, or 115 by the Great Western railway. It is situated on high ground in the vicinity of the river Frome, which flows through the lower part of the town, and is crossed by a bridge of five arches. It was formerly a part of the ancient forest of Selwood. The place is of great antiquity, being first historically mentioned near the end of the 7th century, in the reign of Ini, King of Wessex, though, from remains of a villa and other traces, it seems to have been a Roman station. In the early part of the 8th century a monastery was founded here by Ini's brother, Aldhelm, afterwards Bishop of Sherborne, and Alfred the Great gained his final and complete victory here over the Danes. After the dissolution of the monasteries the demesne came to the Fitz-Bernards, from whom it passed through several hands to the Thynnes and Boyles." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Christ Church, Christchurch Street, Church of England
- Holy Trinity, Trinity Street, Church of England
- St John the Baptist, Bath Street, Church of England
- St Katharine, East Woodlands, Church of England
- St Mary the Virgin, Innox Hill, Church of England
- Portway Methodist Church, Christchurch Street East, Methodist
- Rook Lane Chapel, B3090, Methodist
- Wesley Methodist Church, A362, Methodist
- Frome Dissenters' Cemetery, Vallis Road, Other
- Sun Street Chapel, Sun Street, Other
- Zion URC, Whittox Lane, United Reformed
- St Catharine, Park Road, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Frome area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Frome which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Frome has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Frome to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST770470 (Lat/Lon: 51.221672, -2.330747), Frome which are provided by: