Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Hemington
"HEMINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon, county Somerset, 5½ miles N.W. of Frome railway station. The village is small, and the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The land is chiefly in pasture, and the soil is clay. The living is a rectory* with that of Hardington united, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £641. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing five bells. It was some few years past thoroughly restored, at which time a fine Norman arch was discovered. The register commences from the reign of Henry VIII. The charities consist of an annuity of £20 by the Bampfylde family, and £1 5s. by Mr. Vigo, both of which are distributed to the poor at Christmas. There are two almshouses for aged men and women; also National schools for both sexes, and a Sunday-school."
"ROWE, a hamlet in the parish of Hemington, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W. of Frome."