GENUKI Home page
Hemington Hemington     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Hemington

"HEMINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon, county Somerset, 5½ miles N.W. of Frome railway station. The village is small, and the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The land is chiefly in pasture, and the soil is clay. The living is a rectory* with that of Hardington united, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £641. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing five bells. It was some few years past thoroughly restored, at which time a fine Norman arch was discovered. The register commences from the reign of Henry VIII. The charities consist of an annuity of £20 by the Bampfylde family, and £1 5s. by Mr. Vigo, both of which are distributed to the poor at Christmas. There are two almshouses for aged men and women; also National schools for both sexes, and a Sunday-school."

"ROWE, a hamlet in the parish of Hemington, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W. of Frome."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]