GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Henstridge

"HENSTRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, county Somerset, 6 miles S. of Wincanton, its post town, and 2 from Templecombe. It is a station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. The village, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Stour. Here was an alien priory, founded in the 11th century as a cell to St. Sever, in Normandy, by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester. The soil is loamy, on a limestone subsoil. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £350, and the vicarial for £550. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £450, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a stone edifice with an ivy-covered tower. The parochial charities produce about £3 10s. per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 19th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.