Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - High Ham
"HIGH HAM, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, county Somerset, 5 miles E. of Somerton, 11 W. of Bridgwater, and 4 N. of Langport, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the high road from Wells and Bridgwater, and contains the hamlets of Beer, Henley, Paradise, and Wag. The soil is clayey, and subsoil limestone, which is quarried for building and for burning into lime. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £583, in the patronage of Worcester College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Andrew, with a tower containing five bells. There is also a district church at Nether Ham, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £50. The register dates from 1569. Here is a free school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. There are a few small charities. The Independents have places of worship here. Captain Mildmay is lord of the manor."
"BEER, a tything in the parish of High Ham and hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile from Langport."
"HENLEY, a tything in the parish of High Ham, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W. of Somerton. It is situated on the river Cary."
"PARADISE, a hamlet in the parishes of High-Ham and Huish Episcopi, county Somerset, near Langport,"
"WAGG, a hamlet in the parishes of Huish Episcopi and High Ham, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Langport."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]