GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

High Ham

"HIGH HAM, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, county Somerset, 5 miles E. of Somerton, 11 W. of Bridgwater, and 4 N. of Langport, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the high road from Wells and Bridgwater, and contains the hamlets of Beer, Henley, Paradise, and Wag. The soil is clayey, and subsoil limestone, which is quarried for building and for burning into lime. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £583, in the patronage of Worcester College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Andrew, with a tower containing five bells. There is also a district church at Nether Ham, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £50. The register dates from 1569. Here is a free school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. There are a few small charities. The Independents have places of worship here. Captain Mildmay is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 19th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.