Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Hinton Charterhouse
"HINTON CHARTERHOUSE, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles S.E. of Bath, and 1 mile S. from the Freshford station of the Great Western railway. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Norton St. Philip. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone edifice.
There are National and Sunday schools for both sexes. Here is an old tower of a Carthusian (Chartreux) priory, founded about the year 1230 by Ela Countess of Salisbury, who likewise laid out the park. There have been discovered in this parish traces of a Roman amphitheatre, as well as pottery and coins, supporting the opinion that this formerly was a Roman station. Hinton Charter-House is a handsome residence, containing a fine collection of paintings, amongst which are some valuable portraits of Henry VIII. and Edward VI., by Holbein; Mary Queen of Scots, by Zucchero; Lord -Keeper Guildford and Lord Strafford, by Vandyck; besides several by Abbot, and other painters."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]