Towns & Parishes
"HOLCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon, county Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Shepton Mallet, its post town and railway station, and 12 S.W. of Bath. The village is of small extent, and the land is chiefly in pasture. The soil is various. There is a large brewery; and coal and ironstone are abundant, but are not at present worked. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £60. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £70. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing two bells, and a Norman porch. The register dates from the end of the 17th century. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Wesleyan day school. The Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyans have places of worship. James Eyre Salmon, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003Parish Church: St Andrew.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information