GENUKI Home page
Holwell Holwell     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Holwell

"HOLWELL, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, county Dorset, formerly in county Somerset, 6 miles S.E. of Sherborne, its post town. The hamlet of Buckshaw is included in this parish This parish anciently formed part of the forest of Blackmore. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. Limestone is quarried for manure. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £450. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £456, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a National school."

"BUCKSHAW, a hamlet in the parish of Holwell, which was formerly a detached part of the hundred of Horethorne, in the county of Somerset, but under the late Act of Parliament is now included in the county of Dorset, 4 miles to the S.E. of Sherborne."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]