GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Hornblotton

"HORNBLOTTON, a parish in the hundred of Whitstone, county Somerset, 5 miles from Castle Carey, its post town and railway station, and 7½ from Shepton Mallet. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the Fosse Way, and bounded on the S.E. by the river Brue. Hornblotton, anciently called Hornblawerton, was given in Ethelwolf's time to the monastery of Glastonbury. The soil is a strong clay, alternating with marl, admirably adapted for the manufacture of draining tiles; a great portion of the land is in pasture. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Alford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is a small edifice, with a wooden tower containing three bells. It has a very old font. The register dates from 1763. The Rev. John Gale Dalton Thring, is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 19th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.