Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Horsington
"HORSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, county Somerset, 4 miles S. of Wincanton, its post town, and 1 mile from the Templecombe railway station, on the South-Western and Central Dorset lines. The parish is situated on the road from Wincanton to Blandford, and contains the hamlets of South Cheriton and Wilkenthrop. A great portion of the land is in pasture. The soil is various, on sandstone subsoil. There are some brick and tile kilns. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £895. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £729. The church, dedicated to St. John, has a tower containing a clock and five bells. It was rebuilt, with the exception of its chancel and tower, in 1819. The register dates from 1858. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. Near the church is an ancient cross. Here is a school for both sexes, also places of worship for the Independents, Wesleyans, and Baptists. The Manor House is the principal residence. John Boulward, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"SOUTH CHERITON, a hamlet in the parish of Horsington, hundred of Horethorne, in the county of Somerset, half a mile to the S. of North Cheriton.
"WILKENTHRUP, a hamlet in the parish of Horsington, county Somerset, 3 miles S.W. of Wincanton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]