GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Horsington

"HORSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, county Somerset, 4 miles S. of Wincanton, its post town, and 1 mile from the Templecombe railway station, on the South-Western and Central Dorset lines. The parish is situated on the road from Wincanton to Blandford, and contains the hamlets of South Cheriton and Wilkenthrop. A great portion of the land is in pasture. The soil is various, on sandstone subsoil. There are some brick and tile kilns. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £895. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £729. The church, dedicated to St. John, has a tower containing a clock and five bells. It was rebuilt, with the exception of its chancel and tower, in 1819. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. Near the church is an ancient cross. Here is a school for both sexes, also places of worship for the Independents, Wesleyans, and Baptists. The Manor House is the principal residence. John Boulward, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 19th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]