GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Huish Episcopi

"HUISH EPISCOPI, a parish in the E. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, county Somerset, half a mile E. of Langport, its post town, and 7½ miles S.E. of Bridgwater. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Yeo and Parret, and on the high road from Crewkerne to Langport. It contains the villages of Langport, Westover, Coombe, Paradise, Pebsbury, and Wearne. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The soils are clayey, with subsoil of blue lias stone. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1797. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Langport annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, joint value £180, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, with a tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Census

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 19th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.