Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Huntspill
"HUNTSPILL, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Somerset, 6 miles N. of Bridgwater, its post town, and 1½ mile from Highbridge railway station. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the mouth of the river Parret, and on the high road from Bristol to Exeter. The parish contains the village of Aston-Morris, as well as that of Huntspill. The latter was formerly a market town, and is now divided into two parts, distinguished as East and West. The Bristol and Exeter railway passes through the parish. There are some brick and tile- kilns. The land is principally rich pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £532, in the patronage of Balliol College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a tower containing a clock and five bells. The register dates from 1654. The charities produce about £320 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, endowed with £6 per annum; also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship. The rector is the lord of the manor. Fairs are held on 29th June, 10th August, and 17th December."
"ASTON MORRIS, a tything in the parishes of Burnham on Sea and Huntspill, the former in the hundred of Bempstone, the latter in that of Huntspill and Puriton, in the county of Somerset, 7 miles to the N. of Bridgwater. It lies near the coast of Bridgwater Bay, at the mouth of the river Parrot. The Bristol and Taunton canal passes near the tything."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]