GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Hutton

"HUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Winterstoke, county Somerset, 11, mile from the Weston Junction railway station, and 7 miles N.W. of Axbridge. Here are ochre and other pits, where many bones of animals and birds have been found. The soil is loam and clay, and the subsoil clay. The Bristol and Exeter railway passes through the parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £315 4s. 2d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value 434. The church is an ancient stone structure, dedicated to St. Mary, and has an embattled tower containing five bells. In the interior are several monuments and brasses; also a new painted window has been inserted. It has a stone pulpit, ornamented with sculpture. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Hutton House, the principal residence, contains a hall, with oak roof; it has also an old embattled tower, commanding views of the surrounding scenery. Anciently it was used for ecclesiastical purposes, and is said to have belonged to the abbey of Glastonbury. A porch, bearing the Bisdee arms, has been recently erected. It is at present the seat of Edward Bisdee, Esq., who is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 19th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.