"ILTON, a parish in the hundred of Abdick, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Ilminster, its post town, 5 W. of South Petherton, and 7 W. of Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. It is situated on the Chard canal, and contains the hamlets of Ashford, Hurcott, and Ilford. The soil is clayey, and subsoil limestone. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £275, and the vicarial for £120. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £193, in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone structure with tower surmounted by a spire, and contains four bells. The church has recently undergone repairs. The register dates from 1642. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum, including the endowment for Whetstone's almshouses. Lady Egremont is lady of the manor and chief landowner."
"ASHFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Ilton, hundred of Abdick and Balstone, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from Ilminster."
"HURCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Ilton, hundred of Abdick, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Ilminster."
"ILFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Ilton, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Ilminster."