GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Ilton

"ILTON, a parish in the hundred of Abdick, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Ilminster, its post town, 5 W. of South Petherton, and 7 W. of Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. It is situated on the Chard canal, and contains the hamlets of Ashford, Hurcott, and Ilford. The soil is clayey, and subsoil limestone. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £275, and the vicarial for £120. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £193, in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone structure with tower surmounted by a spire, and contains four bells. The church has recently undergone repairs. The register dates from 1642. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum, including the endowment for Whetstone's almshouses. Lady Egremont is lady of the manor and chief landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 20th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.