Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Isle Abbotts
"ISLE ABBOTTS, a parish in the hundred of Abdick, county Somerset, 9 miles S. E. of Taunton, its post town, 5 N. of Ilminster, and 6 S.W. of Langport station, on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Isle, or Ivel, a branch of the Parret. The parish contains the hamlets of Stewley and Woodlands. The soil is clayey, and subsoil blue lias stone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £70, in the patronage' of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing five bells. The church has been recently restored. The register dates from 1685. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Baptists have a place of worship. John Flott, Esq., is lord of the manor.
"STEWLEY, a tything in the parish of Isle Abbotts, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Langport."
"WOODLAND, a hamlet in the parish of Isle Abbotts, county Somerset, 6 miles S.W. of Langport."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]