National Gazetteer (1868) - Keynsham

"KEYNSHAM, a parish and small town in the hundred of the same name, county Somerset, 7 miles N.W. of Bath, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Bristol. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The toy& is situated near the junction of the rivers Chew and Avon, which last is navigable hence to Bath, and across which there is a fifteen arched bridge. The market, which was on Thursday, has long been discontinued. There are malthouses and breweries, and a portion of the inhabitants are engaged in flax spinning. Wood for dyeing and parsley piert are grown here, and there is a mineral spring. On the river are some mills belonging to a brass and copper company at Bristol. A court-leet is held for the hundred. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £135, and the vicarial for £170, and those belonging to the trustees of the Bristol charities for £116 7s. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £124. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, with a lofty tower containing eight bells. It has two screens, also a chapel. It contains effigies of the Brydges. The charities produce about £205, of which £85 goes to the support of Brydge's school and almshouses. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel. On the S.E. of the church formerly stood Keynsham Abbey, founded in 1170 by William Earl of Gloucester for Black Canons, and was endowed with the hundred of Keynsham. A great portion of the remains of this abbey were used in 1634 for restoring the parish church. The Chandos estate has lately been sold by auction, and the advowson of the church purchased by the Rev. W. Gyles."

"CHEWTON KEYNSHAM, a tything in the parish of Keynsham, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile N. of Keynsham."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]