GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Kilve

"KILVE, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 12 miles N.W. of Bridgwater, its post town, 4 miles E. of Watchet, and 5 N.E. of Williton station, on the West Somerset railway. The parish, which is small, is bounded on the N. by the Bristol Channel, and the turnpike road from Bridgwater to Minehead passes through it. The soil is various. The West Somerset hounds are kennelled here. Limestone is extensively quarried for burning into lime. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £211 10s. The living is a rectory* united with the vicarage of Stringston, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £642, in the patronage of Balliol College. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small structure with a square tower containing three bells. The church has recently been restored. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes, also a place of worship for the Independents. Near the church, at a farm, are the remains of an ancient priory, or chantry, founded by Simon-de-Fourneaux. J. H. Sweeting, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 20th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.