Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Kingsbury Episcopi
"KINGSBURY EPISCOPI, a parish in the E. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, county Somerset, 4 miles S. of Langport, 3 N. of South Petherton, and 2½ N.W. of Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter line of railway. Ilminster is its post town. It is situated on the river Parret, and contains the hamlets and tythings of Burrow, Lake, East and West Lambrook, Southay, Stembridge, and Thorney. It formerly belonged to the bishops of Wells, whence the adjunct to its name. The soil is loam and clay, with subsoil clay and gravel. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £360, in the patronage of the Chancellor of Wells Cathedral. The church., dedicated to St. Martin, has a pinnacled tower, 120 feet high, containing a clock and five bells. It is ornamented with eleven statues of kings, and was repaired in 1849. There are Sunday and National schools, the latter recently erected. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum. The Wesleyans and Independents have each a chapel. Wadham Wyndham, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"LAKE, a tything in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Petherton."
"SOUTHAY, a hamlet in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Ilchester."
"THORNEY, a hamlet in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi, county Somerset, 2 miles S.E. of Langport, on the river Parret."
"WEST and MIDDLE LAMBROOK, tythings in the parish of Kingsbury Episcopi, hundred of Kingsbury, county Somerset, 6 miles S. of Langport.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]