GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Kingsbury Episcopi

"KINGSBURY EPISCOPI, a parish in the E. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, county Somerset, 4 miles S. of Langport, 3 N. of South Petherton, and 2½ N.W. of Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter line of railway. Ilminster is its post town. It is situated on the river Parret, and contains the hamlets and tythings of Burrow, Lake, East and West Lambrook, Southay, Stembridge, and Thorney. It formerly belonged to the bishops of Wells, whence the adjunct to its name. The soil is loam and clay, with subsoil clay and gravel. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £360, in the patronage of the Chancellor of Wells Cathedral. The church., dedicated to St. Martin, has a pinnacled tower, 120 feet high, containing a clock and five bells. It is ornamented with eleven statues of kings, and was repaired in 1849. There are Sunday and National schools, the latter recently erected. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum. The Wesleyans and Independents have each a chapel. Wadham Wyndham, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Cemetery Records

Census

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 18th November 2011 by Malcolm Daniels]