GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Kingsdon

"KINGSDON, a parish in the hundred of Somerton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.E. of Somerton, 2 N. of Ilchester, and 6 W. of the Sparkford railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the Roman road Fosse Way. The soil is clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £330. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £432, in the patronage of the University College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to All Sainte, is an ancient structure with a tower containing five bells and a clock. Near the door is a basin for consecrated water, and in the transept the recumbent figure of a Knight Templar in armour. The Independents have a place of worship. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Charles A. Moody, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 20th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.