Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Kingstone
"KINGSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Tintinhull, county Somerset, 1 mile S.E. of Ilminster, its post town, 4 miles S.W. of South Petherton, and 6 N.W. of Crewkerne. The parish is small, and contains the hamlets of Allowenshay and Ludney. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £53. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing 4 bells. There is a school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Earl Poulett is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are ruins of a very ancient church at Allowenshay."
"ALLOWENSHAY, a hamlet in the parish of Kingstone, hundred of Tintinhull, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles to the N. W. of Ilchester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]