GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Kingsweston

"KINGWESTON, a parish in the hundred of Catsash, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Somerton, its post town, 8 from Langport, and 7 W. of Castle Cary railway station. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The soil is various. Blue lias is obtained from the quarries, of excellent quality for building. This place is memorable for the defeat of the Western insurgents in the reign of Edward VI. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £156. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £140. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure, with a spire containing five bells. The church was rebuilt in 1855. There is a school for both sexes, in which the Sunday-school is also held. The magistrates sit at Somerton. Francis Henry Dickenson, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at Kingweston House." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 20th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]