GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Langford Budville

"LANGFORD BUDVILLE, a parish in the hundred of Milverton, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Wellington, its railway station and post town, and 4½ from Wiveliscombe. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Sone and near the Western canal. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The soil consists of sand and clay, resting on a subsoil of sandstone and limestone. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Milverton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure with a square tower containing five bells. It contains a monument to W. Bacon, ancestor of the celebrated sculptor. The register dates from 1538. There is a National school, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Bindon lunatic asylum is partly in this parish and partly in that of Milverton. E. A. Sandford, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 2nd February 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.