"LIMINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Stone, county Somerset, 1 mile E. of Ilchester, its post town, and 6 W. of Sparkford. It is situated on the river Yeo, and contains the tything of Draycott. The village is small and entirely agricultural. The soil consists of loam and clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £410. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £366, in the patronage of Wadham College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a lofty tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains the cypher of Cardinal Wolsey, who once held the living, several monuments, including one to Sir Richard Gyverney, who founded the chantry in 1329, and several of the Beatons, to whom this parish belonged. The register dates from 1680. There is a National school for both sexes, built in 1834, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. G. D. Digby, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"DRAYCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Limington, hundred of Stone, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile S.E. of Ilchester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]