We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Long Sutton

"LONG SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Somerton, county Somerset, 4 miles E. of Langport, and 3 S.W. of Somerton. The village is considerable, and is situated on the river Yeo or Ivel. The parish includes the hamlets of Knowle, Load, and Upton. Roman coins and pottery have been discovered here.

"KNOWLE, a tything in the parish of Long Sutton, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W, of Ilchester."

"UPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Long Sutton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Somerton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]