Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Luccombe
"LUCCOMBE, (or Luckham), a parish in the hundred of Carhampton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Minehead, its post town, and 12 W. of Williton. Two streams flow through the parish, the principal of which is called the "Horner," flowing through a dell into the sea about a mile to the E. of Porlock. There are three hamlets, Doverhays, Horner, and West Luccombe. The main road between Minehead and Porlock passes through the village. The hill of Dunkerry, which belongs to the greywacke formation, rises to the height of 1,700 feet above the sea-level. The substratum is chiefly a coarse, red sandstone, alternating with limestone, and frequently containing iron ore. The soil is rich, and the land in a high state of cultivation. There are some chalybeate waters, and some beautiful specimens of marble are found in the limestone quarries. The tithes have been commuted for a rent charge of £366. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £417. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1676. The charities amount to about £4 per annum. There is a parochial school. Sir T. D. Ackland is lord of the manor.
"DOVERHAYS, a hamlet in the parish of Luccombe, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles W.S.W. of Minehead."
"HORNER, a hamlet in the parish of Luccombe, county Somerset, 5 miles W. of Minehead."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]