Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Maperton
"MAPERTON, a parish in the hundred of Catsash, county Somerset, 3½ miles W. of Wincanton, its post town, and 4 N. of the Templecombe station. The parish, which is small, is situated on the high road between London and Exeter. The land is chiefly agricultural. Freestone is quarried, and there are brick and tile kilns. The soil is clayey, with a rocky subsoil. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £330. The living is a rectory* in tho diocese of Bath and Wells, value £438, in the patronage of Wadham College, Oxon. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1556. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held, mainly supported by Mrs. Fitz Gerald. Henry Fitz Gerald is lord of the manor."
"CLAPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Maperton, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles S. of Bruton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]