GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Maperton

"MAPERTON, a parish in the hundred of Catsash, county Somerset, 3½ miles W. of Wincanton, its post town, and 4 N. of the Templecombe station. The parish, which is small, is situated on the high road between London and Exeter. The land is chiefly agricultural. Freestone is quarried, and there are brick and tile kilns. The soil is clayey, with a rocky subsoil. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £330. The living is a rectory* in tho diocese of Bath and Wells, value £438, in the patronage of Wadham College, Oxon. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1556. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held, mainly supported by Mrs. Fitz Gerald. Henry Fitz Gerald is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 25th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.