GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Mark

"MARK, a parish in the hundred of Bempstone, county Somerset, 10 miles from Bridgwater, its post town, 5 S.W. of Axbridge, and 4 from Highbridge railway station. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated near Mark Yeo, and on the turnpike road from Highbridge to Wells. It is divided into two districts, called East and West Mark. A great portion of the land is in pasture, and much cheese is made. The soil is clayey. The impropriation belongs to the Earl of Harrowby, whose tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £295. The living is a perpetual curacy' in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £175. The church, dedicated to St. Mark, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing a clock and six bells. The church has recently been restored. The register dates from the 16th century. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school held in the National schoolroom. The Bible Christians and Wesleyans have each a place of worship, and the latter a Sunday-school. John F. Fraser, Esq., is lord of the manor. Annual fairs are held on the Tuesday prior to Whit-Sunday, and on the Mondays before the 20th August and 20th September for horses and cattle." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 25th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]