GENUKI Home page
Marksbury Marksbury     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Marksbury

"MARKSBURY, a parish in the hundred of Keynsham, county Somerset, 7 miles S.W. of Bath, its post town, and 4 S. of the Keynsham railway station. The parish, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural, and includes the hamlet of Hound-street. The soil consists of loam and stone brash, with a subsoil of marl. Coal is found. The surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by several rivulets. On Wingsbury Hill are remains of an ancient chapel, probably belonging to a monastery, which formerly existed here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £240. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans."

"HOUNDSTREET, a hamlet in the parish of Marksbury, county Somerset, 4 miles S. of Keynsham."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]