Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"MARSTON-BIGOT, a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 3 miles S. of Frome, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is chiefly agricultural. The parish comprises about 2,000 acres of land, not in a very forward state of cultivation, the chief part of the land being in pasture. There are brick and tile kilns. A chain of hills extends through the parish from E. to W., on each side of which are woods. The lower grounds are watered by two small rivulets. The manor anciently belonged to the Bigott family, from whom the parish takes the suffix to its name. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £250. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £280. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is a small stone structure, with a tower containing a peal of six bells. The church was built on the site of an older one by the late Earl of Cork, and was opened to the public in 1789. The register dates from 1680. There is a National school for both sexes. Marston House is the seat of the Earl of Cork and Orrery, who takes from this place the title of baron, and who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The site of the old seat of the Bigotts still goes by the name of Marston Moat, although not the slightest traces are visible. Within a short distance of this spot is a field called the "Conqueror's Mead," in which is a barrow, supposed to be the place where the slain were interred." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Marston Bigot which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST750440 (Lat/Lon: 51.194612, -2.359176), Marston Bigot which are provided by: