GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Marston Magna

"MARSTON MAGNA, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, county Somerset, 5 miles from Sherborne, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Yeovil. It is a station on the Wilts and Somerset line of railway. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. A streams flows through the village, which rises at Sandford Orcas and works several mills in its course. The soil consists of rich loam and clay upon a subsoil- of gravel. In the hills are several stone quarries abounding in Ammonites, Nautili, Belemnites, and other fossils. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £300. This parish gives name to a deanery in the archdeaconry of Wells. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £324. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with an embattled tower containing a clock and four bells. The interior of the church contains an ancient font. The register dates from 1566. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school held in the schoolroom. The above school has an endowment for teaching five children of Marston, and the same number of Ashington. There are Williams's almshouses for aged persons. The charities consist of the interest of £100 bequeathed by Mrs. Cox, to be distributed to the poor in coals. There are ruins of an ancient building called Court Garden, with moat and fish-ponds. James Parsons, Esq., of Drayton, is lord of the manor. An annual fair is held in Advent week." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 25th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.