"MILVERTON, a parish in the hundred of Milverton, county Somerset, 3½ miles N. of Wellington, its railway and post town, and 7 W. of Taunton. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the Taunton road to Wiveliscombe, and contains the hamlets of Preston-Bowyer and Screedhay. The village, which is of great antiquity, is a petty sessions town, and was formerly a market town. In ancient times it ranked as a royal borough, and is still nominally governed by a portreeve, &c. The town consists chiefly of three irregularly built streets. The magistrates' meetings are held at Wiveliscombe, and the county court at Wellington. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the flannel and silk factories, and some of the cottagers in weaving baize by handlooms. The soil is loamy with a subsoil of various kinds. There are some quarries of conglomerate limestone, and also of sandstone.
The appropriate tithes belong to the Archdeacon of Taunton. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Llangford-Budville annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £449, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Taunton. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a spacious structure, with a tower containing six bells. The church was one of those built in the reign of Henry VII., and has recently been restored. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £113, of which £54 go to Lamb's school. There are National schools, partly endowed, for both sexes, also infant schools. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Society of Friends have places of worship, to which are attached Sunday-schools. John de Milverton, a Carmelite friar, who wrote against Wickliffe, was born in this parish. A fair is held on the 10th October for broadcloth and pedlery."
"PRESTON-BOWER, a tything in the parish of Milverton, county Somerset, 1 mile N.E. of Milverton."